You may think of CBD as a newly found miraculous compound, but trust is, this beneficial ingredient has been under observation since the 1970s. There has been ongoing research on CBD, which has proved its therapeutic benefits, and now, CBD is making headlines in the consumer market and medical world.
But are there any side effects of CBD oil?
Based on clinical reviews, CBD has many medical benefits without inducing the risks of getting addicted or high, and new ones are being found with ongoing research. According to a review by The World Health Organization (WHO), CBD oil is a safe product that can treat various ailments and provide relief from depression and discomfort.
Quick Review of CBD Oil Properties
Both human and animal trials on CBD show that the compound can provide treatment and relief for multiple medical conditions. Studies show that CBD indirectly influences the receptors in the endocannabinoid system (ECD) within the human body and helps the system maintain the body’s homeostasis.
Based on the results of these trials, it has been concluded that CBD can provide the following health benefits:
- CBD oil has anti-inflammatory properties that can provide relief in various conditions.
- Cannabidiol helps relieve pain in conditions including rheumatoid arthritis and multiple scleroses.
- Cannabidiol has been proven significantly beneficial in treating seizures and epilepsy. Epidiolex drug approved by the FDA for treating seizures in epilepsy has shown positive outcomes.
- CBD can help cancer patients fight pain and discomfort and can destroy cancer cells, inhibiting cancer growth. Moreover, it was also useful in easing the chemotherapy side effects, including nausea and vomiting.
- CBD has antioxidants properties and can fight free radicals, which in turn improve skin and health.
- CBD can also help treat neurological disorders such as Alzheimer’s, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, epilepsy, and other brain-related diseases.
- It can help people suffering from insomnia and also prevent diabetes.
What Are the Side Effects of CBD Oil?
CBD is undoubtedly full of impressive benefits, but on the flip side of the coin, we have to find out if it has any side effects.
As per research, no visible or serious side effects have been found, but there are concerns when it comes to determining the condition and correct dosage of CBD. The cannabinoids work differently on different individuals, and the compound is still under study to fully understand its nature, how it works within the human body, and the extent of its effects.
Some of the minor CBD side effects noticed in different studies have been summarized below;
Consuming CBD orally is the easiest and fastest way of reaping its benefits. Either CBD oil is placed under the tongue or added to drinks like coffee. The common side effects reported by users when they orally consumed CBD include drowsiness, fatigue, dry mouth, and low blood pressure.
Individuals who consumed higher doses of CBD reported feeling tired and exhausted, even after sleeping. This was observed during a study conducted on patients suffering from insomnia. Although CBD was able to cure sleeplessness, it caused fatigue in some individuals.
Drowsiness is another side effect of CBD. According to Dr. Jas Matharu-Daley, a chief medical officer and a physician for a CBD brand, CBD should not be taken with other sedatives as it can have negative effects, including drowsiness.
Low blood pressure
As we know that CBD helps maintain normal blood pressure, but if you take it in excessive amounts, then it will lower your resting blood pressure making you feel lightheaded and dizzy.
Diarrhea is also a common side effect caused by consuming CBD in some individuals during studies. Along with diarrhea, some people may suffer from liver problems. Coconut oil is often taken as a carrier oil for CBD, and it is one of the reasons behind diarrhea.
CBD has proven to be quite beneficial for treating skin problems such as acne and also directly targeting a specific area suffering from injury or pain. There is little research available on topical CBD oil safety, but the product is widely used for treating muscle aches and pains worldwide without causing any side effects.
However, some people may experience an allergic reaction to it, depending on skin condition, especially when it comes to facial application. That is why it is advised to consult a medical expert to determine the method of use and dosage.
When to Avoid Taking CBD?
CBD may have minor effects, but being careless can lead to serious adverse reactions like with any medication. To avoid any negative effects, the first thing you need to make sure is if the CBD brand you are purchasing from is trustworthy and the respective product contains the purest and original CBD or not and be aware of all its ingredients.
The next step you must take is to make sure you are not facing any of the below-mentioned issues:
- Our body reacts differently to various drugs and medicines. CBD can occupy the cytochrome p450 enzyme, which is responsible for processing pharmaceutical drugs within our body. So, if you are on any medication and take CBD alongside these medications, it may pose a serious threat to your health.
- If you are facing liver problems, you need to be cautious before consuming CBD oil. This was noticed during the clinical trial of Epidiolex. The trial also determined that patients with liver impairment should slowly increase their CBD doses, starting from a lower dose.
- If you are planning to conceive, then CBD may not be the right product for you. According to some evidence, women consuming CBD may have a low fertility rate, and products containing a combination of CBD and THC may hurt reproductive capabilities.
- If you have low blood pressure, then consult your physician before trying out any CBD product. CBD oil deals with stress and anxiety by lowering the blood pressure that can become problematic if not taken in the right amount.