CBD oil and other CBD products are the new emerging stars in the consumer market. Thanks to the tons of therapeutic benefits CBD offers, different sectors are making the most of the opportunity. Pharmaceutical companies have developed many new ways for people to consume and benefit from CBD, and one of them is CBD cream for pain.
Many people across the globe experience pain, and using painkillers is not always very effective. For some, painkillers can take a considerable time for the effects to kick in, and many may not like to take them due to the side effects medicines have. On the other hand, CBD has been proven scientifically to work against pain and that too, without having any side effects as it is a natural compound. Ever since it first hit the market, CBD as a treatment to treat pain has only gained popularity.
Searching for CBD products to relax your pain and aches, you will come across a ton of choices. These include CBD gums, pills, oils, and many more ways to consume CBD. Though all of them effectively act as painkillers, particularly for muscle or joint pains, CBD creams are the best way to go about.
But how does the CBD cream work? Is it even as effective as the producers claim, and how to decide on the best CBD cream? Read on to find out.
Does CBD Cream Work Against Pain?
CBD creams are rich in anti-inflammatory properties, which enables the product to bind the receptors and significantly reduce pain and aches. These receptors are a part of the human body’s endocannabinoid systems or ECS. The system is responsible for regulating pain, mood, and sleep in a person’s body. CBD’s therapeutic properties come due to its richness in phytocannabinoids that can interact with ECS and alleviate pain.
It has been proven by research that the topical application of CBD works effectively for pain management. A recent study on palliative care patients showed around 25% of these patients to be using topical CBD or CBD creams to help relieve pain with positive results.
What Does It Work Best On?
Studies prove that CBD can help with a variety of pain sensations, including:
- Arthritis-related pain:
A study carried out in 2016 showed that the application of CBD dealt positively with arthritis pain and related swelling.
- Jaw Pain:
Another study carried out in 2019 aimed to look at how CBD can be used to treat facial pains, especially jaw pain. Again, fruitful results were found. CBD cream was able to relieve facial pain when used twice a day for at least two weeks. The patients felt very relieved.
- Nerve Pain:
A 2020 study was done to investigate how topical CBD oil deals with pain. Almost all participants had damaged nerves causing waves of pain. After a controlled dose of CBD was given to these individuals, the majority of them reported that their pain subsided significantly.
Strength Of CBD Cream
It is generally advised to consult a medical practitioner to determine the right frequency for you and start with a small amount for application. You must also do a patch test.
The strength can be categorized into three levels:
This is the first stage, and the standard amount has 3mg of CBD per 1ml. The dosage is sufficient enough to reduce minor pains. In case the pain persists, you can switch to ‘Plus Servings’
This is a bit higher than the latter in terms of strength. For every 1ml, around 8mg of CBD is included. The ‘Plus Strength’ cream is usually applied twice a day or as suggested by the physician.
The CBD percentage in the cream increases as for every 1ml, around 16.5mg of CBD is used. Since the CBD percentage is high, careful application is necessary. It is better to rely on a physician’s advice regarding the application.
This is the highest percentage of CBD to be included in the cream. There is 33mg of CBD in every 1 ml. The dosage is high enough to treat almost all kinds of pains. Since the CBD percentage is quite high, physician advice is mandatory before any kind of use.
How To Choose CBD Cream?
The market is crammed with CBD products. Picking the best one out can be a confusing task. Here are some of the factors you must consider when going out to shop for CBD cream.
- Quality Control: The best quality CBD creams are those that have been tested by a third party, which must be an ISO 17025-compliant lab. Usually, the results of such tests are published on the website or in front of the packs sometimes.
- Brand Reputation: The more a reputed brand is, the better its quality is supposed to be. Brand reputation is not the only thing. Be also sure to check the reviews of the product on their respective websites. It will be the best way to determine the efficacy of different creams.
- Hemp Sourced: It is recommended to use products that are made of hemp grown in the US.
- Strength Of CBD: There is no way for a layman to determine what strength of CBD product to use. The amount of CBD to be used depends entirely on the pain you feel. Thus, always consult a doctor to have a dosage is prescribed. Also, it must not contain more than 0.3 percent THC
- Hemp Extract Type: Different companies use different CBD oil formulations in their products. For example, full-spectrum CBD oil (It includes whole hemp extraction), broad-spectrum (It contains all the extracts except for THC), and Isolate CBD (Includes only CBD) are the most commonly used options.
According to research, CBD is generally safe to use. However, in the case of any sores or open wounds, you must wait to apply CBD cream as many products are not suitable to be used on broken skin.